Hello, and welcome back to The Split Ticket! In this episode, Alex Castro, Emily Kellogg, Jayson Mears, Melanie Schnurr, and host Elizabeth Clarey discuss standardized testing, Common Core, teachers’ salaries, and what to do about the cost of higher education.
This episode’s sources:
- Understood, on Common Core state standards
- Teacher Hub, two teachers’ opinions about Common Core standards
- TFP Student Action, on why Common Core is bad for education
- Huffington Post, on mixing education and politics
- The Guardian, on how education affects elections in the U.S.
- Barry C. Burden, on the effects of education on voter turnout
- FindLaw, on how school funding is actually used
- The Atlantic, on how income inequality affects children’s quality of education
- New York Times opinion letter, on affirmative action
- Washington Post, on problems with standardized tests
- Vittana, on the benefits and drawbacks of standardized tests
- World Happiness page 183, on countries’ comparative happiness
Edited/Produced by Madeleine Leigh
Formatted for radio by Maggie Littel